There's so much I love about being a mom. But when I get sick, especially if the kids are sick, I hate it. I want to climb into my bed, hide my head under the covers and sip tea until I'm better. But there are diapers to be changed, meals to be made, noses to be wiped, and laundry to be put away.
So here are 10 things that make being home sick with the kids, a little easier:
- Have a pajama day. Don't worry about getting dressed, or getting anyone else dressed either. If you've got kids in diapers, bring a few (and some wipes) out into the living room to make changes easier.
- Make lunch a picnic in the living room. Since our playroom becomes our sick room, I try to do everything in there I possibly can.
- I buy Puffs Plus with Vicks. I think it's the best invention ever for a cold. It doesn't rub the kids noses raw and the menthol makes my nose feel good.
- Make it a movie day. Sick days are usually great ones in our house for movies like The Princess Bride, and Labyrinth.
- Tea is your friend. There is actually one called Just For Kids Organic Cold Care Tea that we keep around for the kids. Then when we're sick, we can all enjoy something that makes us feel a little better.
- Play games. Being sick is rough, but it can be a great time to bond. I like playing simple games like Uno with the kids when we don't feel good.
- Use your Snuggie. The silliest thing ever marketed? Maybe. But it's so nice to snuggle up with the Snuggie on the couch. I'd like to get a couple in kids sizes too.
- Have breakfast for dinner. Cooking is hard, but if I can fry up some eggs and make some toast, everyone's happy with comfort food and I didn't have to think too hard.
- Color get well cards for each other. It's an activity that gives them something to do and makes everyone feel a little better.
- Don't expect too much. When we don't feel good, we may not have the most patience. I try and remember that, and I try to encourage the kids to go easy on each other.