So, it's about that time. You know, for planting herbs. I always have this image of myself as the woman with shelves of herbs, who knows which to go to for what. Who, when a friend comes by, complaining of a headache says, "I know just what will fix that!" and proceeds to make tea. Granted, come by my house and I'm more than likely to make you tea already. But that's not the point.
So, since I'd like to start small and build up over time, I wanted to start with some "essential" herbs. I haven't grown herbs in some time, and this year I'd like to put a bit more thought into it. My gardening budget is virtually non-existent. But for this, all I need to start are some paper cups, seeds, and a bit of potting soil. I have plenty of space in which to grow things. I just usually don't. Unless weeds count. I don't think they do in Minnesota. So, they the question became, what do I want to grow? What are my essential herbs? Here's what I've come up with.
My basic Herbal Garden
- Sage - "For thousands of years sage has been used for a variety of culinary and medicinal purposes. It has been used in connection with sprains, swelling, ulcers, and bleeding. As a tea, sage has been administered for sore throats and coughs. Herbalists have also used this herb for rheumatism, menstrual bleeding, strengthening the nervous system, improving memory, and sharpening the senses." Magically it's uses are "wisdom, psychic awareness, long life and protection. As secondary aspects, spells for money use sage. But, by far, its most potent aspect is wisdom and learning. Sage is often bundled tightly into smudge sticks and burned as a scent." and it's great for cleansing spaces, as well.
- Rosemary - "it is an antiseptic, a gentle stimulant to the entire body, a wonderfully aromatic garden aid, a headache dispeller, a folk medicine heart tonic", helpful with colds, coughs, and stomach spasms. Really, this one is good for a lot! Magically it's uses are "mental ability, healing, love and purification"
- Lavender - It's uses are for bites, bruises, aches, relaxation, and it's a great natural insect repellent. Magically it's uses are peace, love, health, and balance.
- Basil - It's uses are to bring on delayed menses, to relieve the pain of bug bites, and as an additive to insect repellents. Magically it's uses are for love, prosperity, and to help with communication.
- Mugwort - It has so many uses! It's a digestive aid, an anti-inflammatory, a detoxifier, the list goes on and on and on. I won't be able to take it for anything during pregnancy however. It can cause miscarriage in pregnant woman. Be warned! Magically it's uses are for safety and protection, to keep travel plans, and to assist in psychic or clairvoyant work.
- Mint - It's uses are for digestion, headache, cramps and spasms, and to treat sinus trouble. Magically it's uses are for prosperity and healing.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? What are your essential herbs?